LSHC Ladies First v City of Peterborough 2s

Played Home on 13th October 2018
Next Match
13th Oct 2018 Mens' 1st - Away vs Kettering 1s


Maisie Sullivan profile


 Unbeaten COP 2's was the toughest test so far and probably will be the toughest test all season. Our young new team were going to be under pressure in the face of a team averaging 6 goals a game and none conceded. A plan was worked on in training, could we deliver……

 There was no way we could match COP 2's or ‘full press' all game so game management was key. However, a full high press for the first 10 minutes was the plan. From the pushback, Long Sutton wanted to set a marker down that they wouldn't be walked over. We kept the ball in the Peterborough half and stopped any ball escaping. ‘Boro seemed a little shocked at the intensity they usually deliver, and Sutton forced a short corner within 2 minutes. Jo bland slipped the ball left to Maisie Sullivan who sent the ball beyond the keeper for her maiden senior goal. Sutton continued to high press and it took over 9 minutes for Peterborough to penetrate the Sutton D. On 14 minutes Lorraine Wallis was finally called upon and produced a cracking save to keep the score at 1-0. However, ‘Boro were starting to get a foothold in the game and had 3 short corners in quick succession. The first was saved high by Wallis, the second cleared up relatively easily but the third was a drag flick which didn't get up and ‘yorked' Lorraine Wallis to hit the backboard. Sutton kept their heads up and continued to press a little deeper. Intelligent running from Connie Gittins and Amber Jones kept the visiting defenders and keeper busy but couldn't find the finishing touch. Another ‘Boro short corner 5 mins before halftime was placed into the corner to give them a halftime lead. The celebration from COP spoke volumes in that they knew they were in a fight. Just before halftime Lauren Cooper took one for the team, a ball flew up and struck her on the cheekbone but after a bit of a rest and an ice pack, she continued.

 Halftime talks were positive and we were determined to take the game to Peterborough and try to force the mistakes. We knew that we were still in the game and wanted to keep fighting.

 The game continued at an energy-sapping pace making the rolling of substitutes critical to the success of the press and the battle. Both sides really were giving their all, but the defences were holding firm. Peterborough were forced to play the long ball through the midfield due to the press being so effective. As the game went on this became a useful tool for them and they got through, however, each time the defence held firm.

 With 14 minutes left, 2 short corners in 3 minutes effectively secured the points for COP. Both were excellently executed deflections. The first a hit across goal for the forward to run in and touch home from the right and the second a deflection in from the left. The last 5 minutes of the game saw Long Sutton attack again and camp in the Peterborough half. The end of the game came with 2 short corners to Long Sutton but neither could be converted.

 Before the game, the challenge was to compete for the full 70 minutes. We did that successfully. We stopped every attack in open play which was another target. Long Sutton had as many open play chances as ‘Boro and more clear-cut chances. Another positive. The best ‘yardstick' was that no-one came off the pitch feeling that they had been beaten. Captain Jo Bland rightly applauded the effort of every single player and thanked them for giving their all. On another day the chances will go in and the short corners will be stopped. Peterborough are easily the strongest team in the league yet we matched them in many departments. Onwards and upwards. Newmarket 1's next week and the ladies will most certainly be looking to bring home the bacon.

 Report by John Sullivan