LSHC Mens' First v Cambridge South 2nds

Played Away on 17th October 2020
Next Match
17th Oct 2020 Mens' 2nd - Home vs St Ives 2nds


Josh Baker profile


The 1s travelled to Cambridge this week for their fourth game of the season, knowing this was going to be one of the hardest of the lot. Sutton started brightly, with a strong press from the front two of Jackson and Baker, ably supported by Fyson at the top of the diamond, and the two wide men, Sargeant and Synnott. South struggled going forward to begin but had the lion share of the possession. The green defence of Holmes, Oldfield, White and Ripley held firm, with no scares to begin. Not long into the half it was Sutton that struck first. It was a ball from Fyson through to Baker waiting in the D who then slid the ball to his right and with a backhand shot, watched the ball into the top right corner. A perfect start for the men in green. However, they didn't stop there, a ball from Harrison put behind enemy lines was perfect for Baker to pounce on. Sprinting forward, he entered the D and secured the sides second of the day with a well placed backhand shot into the bottom right. The first half meandered on but South managed to knick one on the whistle with a shot into the bottom corner leaving the Skipper helpless. HT 2-1

South came out the better side to begin the second half putting pressure on the back four. South were rewarded for the their efforts with a well taken penalty corner. From here any side could've stolen the three points with chances a plenty. The second half was scrappy but well fought. Penalty corners were stacking up but the lads were unable to get the finishing touch. Another chance came from a ball from Baker which split the defence allowing "he who shall not be named" to pounce onto the ball however not quite having enough to make anything of it. South continued to bang on the door but the defence held firm. The last chance of the game came from a ball in from Ellis to Baker within the 3 yard area, who deflected the ball up and over the keeper, but stupidly decided to volley the ball over the bar. The lives were out for Sutton and the game finished 2-2. The side were gutted not to claim the 3 points, but after the game, wise words from, Holmes, Harrison and Braginton made the team realise this was a result not the be frowned upon.